Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Lately ...

... I've been working a lot. Or, I've been educated at my job, so it's been more like school. Last week I took a course at the call center on Internet support. I took a test on Monday, so now I don't only get the regular customer service calls, I also get calls from people whose Internet connection is down and stuff like that. So far, it's been OK. My nerves seem to be handling this one better then when I first started, so that good. We have great software to help us get the customers through the different steps to fix the problem, like changing settings and telling us their IP addresses, so that we can find the problem. It's always nice to be able to help people that way. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to fix anything, but hey, nothings perfect, and certainly not Internet connections. But I do long for the day when everybody is hooked up with a real broadband, without modems and all that, since the connections for the people using that seems to be a lot better. Although, then I wouldn't have a job, maybe, so I guess it works out for me.

On Saturday I was at my first bachelorette party ever. We kidnapped my friend in the morning, and then went for breakfast. After that it was horseback riding (Icelandic horses who have those special ways of moving around), lunch, then a trip to a spa where the bride got a chocolate massage. Then she was photographed by a professional photographer, and then we had dinner at a great restaurant with the best buffe ever. The we were supposed to go out and paint the town red, although I was too beat by that time, after nine days of working and getting up way too early for my taste. So I went home, avoiding sleep deprivation and a club with, what I heard, not great music.

I'm to send in my application for the grad student program soon. There I have to include a proposal for a dissertation topic concerning media, globalization and democracy issues. God, it's hard to find the perfect topic. I don't want it to be unoriginal, but still it has to be interesting enough for me to spend four years on it. So if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to submit them in the comments.

Hope you're all doing well. I'm longing for a vacation in the States or Ireland, but I guess money and time are tight nowadays. Have to think of a real good present for Gran, who turns 90 in June. She's amazing, doesn't seem a day over 80 I think. When I look at grandmothers of my friends I feel so lucky: they're all mostly younger than her, but seem much older.

Peace and love and all that. Stick a comment if you want, it'd be nice to see whom I'm writing for. (And sorry for any stupid spellings or bad writing, as I said, I'm way to tired to be awake right now.)

No comments: